Follow updates from this page
The Treasury Automation Suite uses a web service for bank communications and file security. Below are some common questions.
1: What is the purpose of SK Global’s BankFabric solution?
In a production Dynamics 365F&O environment, there is no access to the underlying Azure virtual machine. Because of this, BankFabric was created to store inbound and outbound bank files. In addition, it provides a platform for bank communications and/or file encryption.
2: What are the benefits of Bank Fabric?
- Secure file storage – The BankFabric application stores in/outbound bank files in Azure “blob” storage. These files are encrypted at rest within the storage container. Sensitive banking files (in- or outbound) should never be presented to the end user for modification and/or viewing. By user, within the BankFabric interface, location folders and file access permissions can be configured. See BankFabric security page.
- Secure, seamless, automated bank communications – SFTP configurations are all configured and managed within BankFabric. With these bank settings configured within the ERP, all file transports are seamless and in real-time. Built-in PGP encryption and signing is available when required.
- API based bank communications – seamlessly transmit payment files (and responses) and bank transactions through BankFabric’s API supported interfaces (starting with TAS v11.7)
- Automation – Many of the Treasury Automation Suite processes can be run in an unattended mode, by leveraging the D365F&O batch job system. BankFabric is the platform used to execute these unattended tasks.
- Multi-environment file overwrite protection – “Sandbox” databases are frequently refreshed from production environments. The downside of this is that the in/outbound file paths will still be pointing to the production locations on the sandbox db. BankFabric prevents this type of contamination across environments. It uses both the environment DNS and a unique encrypted “secret” to verify the appropriate ERP environment is communicating value with corresponding BankFabric environment.
- Simplified filename and location setup – File locations and names are configured within BankFabric and visible in the ERP. Locations are automatically maintained across all environments.
- Activity logging – All UI and API calls are logged and available for review by the account administrator and/or SKG personnel.
3: What are the pre-requisites for using BankFabric?
BankFabric is the replacement for our legacy Bank Communications Hub (BCH). All SK Global customers using TAS v11.4 or greater can use BankFabric. (As of v11.4 there are 1-2 modules and/or communication types that are not yet supported. Please check with email@example.com for the most current status as we bring all modules and communications over to BankFabric). A BankFabric customer has no additional infrastructure requirement (no cloud or non-premise VM is needed). Please note, there may be an adjustment to your annual license cost.
4: Where is BankFabric hosted?
The UI website is hosted on SK Global’s Azure tenant in the East US region. There are two identical APIs available that provide all of BankFabric’s processing functionality. One is in the Americas (East US) and one in EMEA (West Europe) Azure locations. By selecting the most appropriate API, latency is minimized. Each customer can determine which API is best suited for their location.
5: How are multiple environments managed within BankFabric?
An unlimited number of ERP environments can be configured within BankFabric. Each ERP environment will connect to a unique BankFabric environment (via DNS/URL name). Bank file storage, communications and access permissions can be configured uniquely by environment.
6: How is data transmitted between D365F&O and BankFabric?
Through a secure https connection (TLS 1.2 or greater).
7: What are the steps to set up BankFabric?
It’s a very simple process:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get registered.
- Assign customer staff members as BankFabric account contact and account administrators. They will manage security of the account.
- Schedule an on-boarding session with SKG or your reseller personnel for technical and functional configuration and training. Each of these sessions takes about 1 hour.
- With these 3 steps, you’re ready to begin testing with your bank.
Note: All D365 FO customers must migrate to using BankFabric Library before 3/1/2024. As stated below, this does not require you to move from FileHub, but does require your AP EFT and/or Direct Debit formats to be sourced from the BankFabric Library. This may also require your organization to take an SKG upgrade to migrate. Customers on SKG version 11.4 or greater can migrate to the BankFabric format library right away.
1: What is BankFabric Library (BFL)?
BankFabric Library is the latest evolution of the BankFabric platform. It provides for a more efficient and reliable method to maintain and store bank file format transformations. A file format transformation is the process of using ERP data to create a file or data stream that a bank can consume (these formats vary – bank to bank). Beginning with the Treasury Automation Suite v11.4 (Q1, 2022) all EFT module files are available within the library or upon request. The library contains all of our over 700 bank-country specific formats covering over 2300 global payment methods.
2: What is a BankFabric Library format?
It’s a self-contained file (DLL) that includes all the information needed to receive ERP payment information and transform it into a file (or API data stream) that matches a bank’s format specification requirements.
3: Why should I want to use a BankFabric Library format?
When a BFL format version is assigned to your account, it will remain unchanged independently from your TAS upgrades. At any time, as the library base format has additional updates (by other customers) you have the option to remain with your format or take advantage of new format features (e.g. new payment methods that are added)… the choice is yours.
4: I’m not using BFL formats now and everything is working great. Since I really like the benefit that is described in the above point how will I know that using a BFL format will work the same as the format transformation I’m using today?
With TAS v11.4 (or later) a “format compare” function is available. It allows you to select a payment file that you’ve used in production and using the same data, compare it to what its corresponding BFL format will create. You’ll be able to confirm that the file created matches exactly with your existing format.
5: I am using Bank Communications Hub (FileHub) now, can I use BFL formats?
Yes, a BFL format (DLL) can be downloaded from the BankFabric Library site and installed on your legacy FileHub. You’ll begin to reap the same benefits as outlined in #3 above.